Bonnets, Victorian and Regency
Now that Tudor is out of the way the next major event to look forward to is my trip to England, for this I need 2 costumes a Victorian outfit for the Llandrindod Victorian Festival, and a Regency outfit for the Jane Austen Festival in Bath. So for each of these I’ll need appropriate headwear, I have a bonnet for each era but they both need modification.
The Regency is the easiest at I can get away with leaving it untrimmed I just need to add ribbons to tie it. I made it during Lynne’s class at the ACT Jane Austen Festival this year, it looks a lot like the Timely Tresses Cordelia bonnet but without the ruffle around the front of the brim.
The Victorian bonnet is the most complicated, at the moment it’s not much more than a black straw base (I bought it from Pamela Robles a couple of years ago) I never got around to trimming it properly I just added some functional ties to keep it on. I did trim it with shiny gold Christmas ribbons for the Christmas Carol ball last year so the first task was to rip all of that off. My next step is to add the trim I originally intended, which is red and white roses with red satin you can see my mockup of the decoration on the right. Right now I’m hemming a rectangle of satin the next step will be to set the pleats and finally work out a way to attach the flowers. I also need to add a velvet ribbon to the inside of the bonnet which will sit on top of my head and keep the whole thing from sliding off backwards, and wide taffeta ribbon (although I might have to cut strips of taffeta because taffeta ribbon 3 inches wide is very hard to find and I don’t think I have enough time to order from the US) decorative ties.
My biggest problem with both of these is packing them, I’m not sure how I will fit them in my luggage without crushing them. I’ll experiment with that soon and if I can’t get it sorted out I may have to post it to myself in England and just hope it gets there in time.